Please open idler and remove filament manually
The message on your LCD saying Please open idler and remove filament manually shows up when the extruder motor does not succeed to remove the filament from the hotend/extruder. Please do not panic, this can be solved very quickly and you do not need to abort the print.
- First of all, you need to open the extruder idler.
- Original Prusa i3 MK3 (MK2.5): loosen the 2 screws on the left side above the hotend fan, just below the hexagon window. The screws are long and both have a spring on them.
- Original Prusa i3 MK2/S: loosen the 2 long screws that are sticking out on the right side of the extruder, see the STEP 16 in the MK2 Extruder assembly.
- Now you can easily open the extruder idler door.
- Original Prusa i3 MK3 (MK2.5): the door is on the opposite side and also has a hexagonal window on it. It opens upwards.
- Original Prusa i3 MK2/S: the screws are on the door directly, open it downwards.
- Take the filament out. The best tool for removing the filament is the bundled pliers. Hold the pliers firmly and pull the filament towards you (out of the door that you opened).
- In case the filament is stuck in the opening of the extruder, simply push it out with a new filament or pull it out from the top.
- Once all is done, simply close the extruder idler door and tighten the two crews that you have loosened in step 1 of this guide. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE SCREWS. Their heads have to stick out of the plastic part by 0.025 inch (0.5 mm). Also, make sure that both screws are tightened equally.
- Resume the print by pressing the knob next to the LCD (NOT the X-button). Reload the filament if needed (follow the instructions on the LCD).
Do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com if you would have any further questions.