Firmware updating & flashing problems
Always check to confirm that the latest driver package is installed before flashing the newest firmware. This can be done on the Prusa3D drivers page. Before completing the following steps, double check that you have followed all instructions in the Firmware upgrade and flashing article precisely.
Most common updating & flashing problems
- Unplugging the USB cable before the Firmware update is fully finished - Make sure that the firmware update is not interrupted in the middle of the process. Do not unplug the USB cable before Firmware Updater tool in Slic3r PE says that the process was successfully completed.
- Timeout error - the Firmware Updater tool is not getting a response from the miniRAMBo or EINSY RAMBo board. Check that your printer is powered on. The next step is to check your fuses, you can visit this article for more information, Blown Fuse (miniRAMBO).
- Uploading different file, but .hex - "Wrong file has been selected for flashing". Make sure to unpack the archive with the firmware and select the .hex file for your printer model.
- Avrdude.exe - the Firmware Updater tool was not able to find the proper COM port. In order to solve this problem. Follow these steps:
- Remove the PRUSA 3D printer drivers in the control panel, under printers & devices, including Slic3r PE and PrusaControl. By removing the Slic3r PE and PrusaControl you will not lose any of your saved profiles.
- Remove all remaining PRUSA related software in the control panel, under Programs and functions.
- Turn off the printer and reboot the PC.
- Check to confirm you really have the latest drivers at Prusa3D drivers.
- Turn on the printer and follow Firmware upgrade and flashing.
- LCD shows only squares after firmware update - If the LCD and menu were working correctly before the firmware update, then firmware for different a printer model was flashed. Make sure you selected the proper one (MK2/ MK3/ Multimaterial).
None of the problems are permanent
Our bootloader is "read-only" that means that even if you upload improper firmware or make any other mistake, there is always a way to make things right. The best practice when uploading or flashing simply does not work is to follow the steps for a Factory reset of all data.
If you have any problems with Firmware updating or flashing do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.