FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
1. First layer does not stick to the print surface
- Make sure your Live Z adjust is set correctly. More negative value = first layer more squished to the build plate) Please refer to 1st layer calibration (Live Z adjust) for more information.
- Clean the print surface before every print, it takes just a few seconds. Use at least 90% or more IPA (isopropyl alcohol) and once in a while acetone.
- Please refer to the PEI print surface preparation and Bed level correction (Kit only) articles for more information.
2. Firmware updating & flashing
Having the latest firmware ensures that you are getting most out of your printer. You can check your current Firmware version in LCD menu - support - Firmware [version]. The newest one is available at prusa3d.com/drivers.
- Always pay extra attention once downloading the firmware for your current device, downloading different one would compromise the process (MK2/ Multimaterial or MK3).
- Only *.hex files are allowed for the update!
- You can find the full guide in the Firmware upgrade and flashing article.
3. MINTEMP message on LCD
This feature prevents the printer from uncontrollable heating if there is a problem with one of the thermistors or if the room is too cold for printing.
- Make sure the ambient temperature in the room is at least 16°C.
- Check that the thermistors are properly seated in place, their wires are not damaged and that their connectors are plugged correctly into the motherboard.
- You can find more information in the MINTEMP article.
4. Layer shifts and similar problems
Layer shifts and similar problems are almost always caused by loose belts or loose pulleys.
- Make sure your belts are tight enough. Did you already do that? Do it again, trust us, it's almost always belts.
- Make sure the pulleys on your stepper motors are tightened.
- You can find more information in the Layer shifting article.
5. Clogged nozzle
- Heat up the nozzle to the filament temperature and using an acupuncture needle try to push through the exit of the nozzle.
- Preheat to 275°C, loosen the idler screws, try to push ABS or other stiff filaments through the nozzle.
- You can find more solutions in the Clogged nozzle article.
6. Blob of molten plastic stuck to extruder
- Preheat the nozzle for the filament temperature
- Using pliers SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY start pulling on the plastic. Be extra careful around the thermistor wires, they are very thin. It should be very easy to remove the blob, if you need to use a lot of force, stop. Raise the preheat temperature and try again in a few minutes.
- You can find more information in the Extruder Blob article.
7. THERMAL RUNAWAY error
This error triggers if the temperature drops more then 15°C for more than 45 seconds to prevent uncontrollable heating and potential fire hazard in case of a wrong temperature reading.
- If the printer is in a cold environment with a lot of airflow (next to open window), move it to a warmer room (20°C or more) or to a spot with less airflow.
- Check the thermistor cable, connector and visually check the thermistor if it is still securely placed in the heater block.
- Get more information in the Thermal Runaway & Temperature drops article
Here you can find some other useful links. Would you be still looking for something else. Try to use the search or you can go back to the main page for all of the categories.
- Bed level correction (Kit only) how to use the bed level correction.
- Loud printer how to make your printer more quiet.
- PEI/Ultem is damaged & Guide how to replace it how to replace damaged PEI.
- General maintenance: Bearings, Fans, Extruder driver gear, Electronics & PEI. General maintenance for Printer parts.
- Firmware updating & flashing problems. common sources of firmware updating fails.
If you did not find what you were looking for. Do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.