Bondtech Extruder gears
The Bondtech extruder gears are made of hardened carbon steel. As the gear meshing section is constantly turning, it needs lubrication to reduce wear, lower friction and reduce noise.
It is recommended to use a lithium based grease (e.g conrad.de or amazon.com/super-lube). This procedure shall be done roughly every 3-6 months. Depending to which extent you are using the printer, for instance, if you are printing 24/7 then you should check it a bit more frequently.
- Open the Extruder idler and clear left-over filament, rust or dust with a brush and inspect both of the gears. You can see how to do it in our assembly manuals, simply undo STEP 15 in E-axis assembly. This way you will be able to fully open the idler easily.
- Put some lithium grease on the Bondtech extruder gear teeth, you can also inspect the Needle bearings which are inside. However, these do not need any special care, just make sure that they are properly inserted.
Bondtech gears are squeaking
Although steps in the previous paragraph shall reduce friction of the extruder gears. There is still a chance that your Bondtech gears might be doing squeaky noises. So if you have already tried all of the steps above in the Maintenance, check your extruder assembly:
- Make sure that your idler is not overtightened. That can happen if you over-tighten screws in STEP 15 of the E-axis assembly.
- Double check the alignment for both of the extruder gears. Both of them must be aligned so that they can properly feed filament into the hotend.
- Make sure there is no filament dust around the gear.
Do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com if you would have any other questions.