Packing i3 printer for return
Do you need to send your printer back for a refund or repair? Unlike in case of a return shipment of a single part, when returning an assembled Original Prusa i3 printer, we would like you to secure it in a more sophisticated way to prevent any damage during the transport.
Return for repair vs. refund
Return for refund
Whatever the reason for returning the printer may be, if you are not sending it back for repair, you must include all of the tools and accessories that came with it. That includes:
- flexible magnetic steel sheet
- spool of grey filament and spool holder
- SD card, power cable, USB cable
- pliers, spatula, screwdriver, Allen keys, spanner
Return for repair
When returning the printer just for repair, you do not have to include everything. You can keep the tools (pliers, spatula, screwdriver, Allen key, spanner), the cables and the spool holder, but please include the flexible magnetic steel sheet (if you have more sheets, always include the one that you are using when the problem happens).
We also need you to send us the filament that was giving you a hard time (the spool, not just a sample), and the SD card with the G-code that you had trouble printing. Please include a copy of the original STL file too.
List of packaging material
If you bought the printer assembled, please re-use the box in which you have received it. If it was a kit, please find another suitable box. The assembled i3 printer's dimensions are 420 × 420 × 380 mm / 16.5 × 16.5 × 15 inches, so the box should have around 500 × 500 × 400 mm / 20 × 20 × 15,8 inch.
You will also need some zip ties (also known as hose ties/cable ties) or similar fasteners. The smaller the length, the more you will need. We are always sending a full pack of zip ties with printer kits and upgrades - use those preferably.
To secure the nozzle, you will need a small piece of packaging foam of 50 × 100 × 100 mm / 2 × 4 × 4 inch. For example, you can cut a piece of the white foam that was used in the original box.
To secure the printer itself in the box, please stuff all of the empty space inside the box with bubble wrap, inflatable air cushions or similar soft packaging material.
How to pack the printer:
- Move the heatbed by hand towards the LCD screen. Lay the printer on the side where the PSU is to gain access to it from below. Secure the heatbed with zip ties, as shown in the photo below this step.
- The heatbed has to be attached to both corners of the heatbed.
- When the zip ties are tightened, the heatbed should not move forward and backward more than a few millimeters (0.1 inch).
- The flexible magnetic steel sheet must be on the bed (the one that you were using when you encountered the problem)
- While the printer is off, manually turn both threaded rods clockwise (both rods the same) in order to lift the extruder. Move the extruder all the way to the left.
- Place the piece of packaging foam under the nozzle, as shown in the photo under the next step.
- Turn both threaded rods counter-clockwise by hand in order to lower the hotend, stop when the nozzle pushes into the foam, and when the rest of the extruder sits on the foam.
- Next, connect some zip ties to make a chain long enough to lead it around the top of the printer frame and underneath the upper X rod (the horizontal rod).
- Do not move with the Z-axis anymore.
- Make sure the chain of zip ties is tight.
- Before placing the printer into the cardboard box, please remove the SD Card from the LCD and unload the filament from the extruder (or cut the filament 50 mm / 2 inch above the extruder).
- Put the filament into the original small box/another suitable box. Don't forget to put there the SD card too.
- Seat the printer in the cardboard box, and stuff the empty space around the printer with the packaging material of your choice. Make sure the printer is well seated and has no space for any significant movement inside the box.
- Finally, put the top layer of foam over the printer and seal the box firmly with several strips of tape.
- Please wrap the box in plastic packing foil to protect it further and print and tape the picture below on each side of the box pointing up towards the top opening of the box.
PRUSA RESEARCH s.r.o., Osobni odber