Pronterface and USB cable
Keep in mind that when printing through Pronterface, the computer must be connected to the printer during the entire printing process - the computer must be prevented from going into sleep mode, hibernation, or shut down. Disconnecting the computer during the print ends the printing process without the option to finish the object.
Pronterface is a part of the DRIVERS & APPS installation package, along with PrusaSlicer and system drivers. This means that if you have installed PrusaSlicer, you have Pronterface installed in your computer as well (unless you intentionally chose not to install it).
Setting up USB connection and Proterface
- Connect the printer to the computer with the USB cable.
- Choose the connection port in Pronterface. Mac users use /usbmodem port, PC Windows ports are COM1, COM2, etc.; the correct port is displayed in the device manager, Linux users connect the printer using the virtual serial port. When the printer is connected, click the Connect button. The right column displays the connection information.
- The next step is to load the model with the Load model button and to choose the file name.gcode (no special symbols are allowed in file name).
- You can control the movement of all printer axes at the control area.
- Next you can preheat the printer and prepare it for printing. Set the temperature for the nozzle (heater) and heatbed (bed) and click Set button. The printer starts heating immediately. Always check that the temperatures set in Pronterface are correct according to our Printing Materials guide!
- You can check the actual temperatures of the nozzle and the bed in Pronterface.
- When the model is loaded, the right column shows the estimated print duration: Estimated duration (pessimistic).
How to operate Pronterface
- The load file button is used to load the desired model. The model must be in .gcode file format.
- Choose the port to which the printer is connected to the computer. (mostly /usbmodem for Mac, COM1, COM2, etc for Windows PC).
- The Print button starts the printing process.
- The Disconnect button disconnects the printer from the computer.
- The printer controls give you the ability to manipulate the printer axes.
- Setting the nozzle and bed temperatures.
- Confirming the set temperatures, heating starts.
- 2D print process preview.
- Info panel. Estimated print time, axis position and other info are displayed after loading the model.