Bondtech Extruder gears
The Bondtech extruder gears are made of hardened carbon steel. As the gear meshing section is constantly turning, it needs lubrication to reduce wear, lower friction and reduce noise.
It is recommended to use a lithium based grease (e.g conrad.de or amazon.com/super-lube) or a PTFE grease. However, be careful not to overuse it, as it tends to accumulate dust particles over time. This procedure shall be done roughly every 3-6 months, depending on how often you are using the printer. For instance, if you are printing 24/7, you should check the gears a bit more frequently.
- Open the Extruder idler. You can see how to do it in our assembly manuals, simply undo STEP 15 in E-axis assembly chapter. Clear any left-over filament, rust or dust with a brush and inspect both gears.
- Put some lithium grease on the Bondtech extruder gear teeth, you can also inspect the Needle bearings that are inside. However, these do not need any special care, just make sure that both of them are properly inserted.
Bondtech gears are squeaking
The procedure described in the previous paragraph shall reduce friction of the extruder gears. In case you have already tried all of the steps above in the Maintenance paragraph and your Bondtech gears are making squeaky noises, check your extruder assembly:
- Make sure that your idler screws are not overtightened. Double check the screws shown in STEP 15 of the E-axis assembly.
- Double check the alignment of both extruder gears. Both of them must be aligned with the opening above and with the PTFE tube below so that they can properly feed the filament into the hotend.
- Make sure there is no filament dust around the gear.